Monday, June 16, 2008

No it´s not mosquito bites, I just have Acne- thank you!

Hola chicos! So here I am at school again after a wonderful weekend at the Coast. It was beautiful! We stayed in a nice private resort, had three course meals for lunch and dinner everyday and took a boat to a private beach, La Playa Escondida. We saw blue footed boobies from the boat alll over one of the cliffs in the water!! I tried to get a picture - It reminded me of when Kyle did a report on them in fourth grade and I was embarrased cause I thought he was perverted! lol. But they are real, and they live all over the cliff in the middle of the Pacific! We were supposed to see whales too but it was too rough and we would have had to go out too far. So we explored at the beach and discovered small caves all along the water. We collected shells and stones and swam in the waves. The lunch was wonderful!! My favorite food is called platanos- which is a fried banana ( a green one that´s a little different than what you´re used to)that tastes like a big potato chip! mmm.


We got to go banana boating also!! That was my favorite we had soo much fun and the driver even took our foto with his camera phone cause we were such a sight to see!!! We got free surf lessons but I passed them up to play beach Futbol. The word on the street was the water was too rough and the boards too small for beginners anyways.




One of the funniest parts of the trip was that one of the chaperones who only spoke spanish ( he was like early 40´s..married..ya know..) Insisted that I had gotten bit my mosquitos overnight. I said no, I thought I was pretty clear of bug bites- and then he insisted on pointing them all out on my face!!!! When in actuality, it was just my acne breakout- because I didn´t bring enough of my acne medicine!! ( I have been very upset about this all week!). So, due to the language barrier I was unable to explain and he wouldnt take my NO for an answer and insisted that he had anti'itch cream I could use to clear up all my bites!!! hahaha. Oh boy.


The first night, Emily found a lizard in her bed!! When they tried to kill it the tail fell off but kept moving!! hahahh! Sickk.


I got back to Quito around 630 last night to find out that the older daughter Susana has moved back home. She doesnt really have a room so she just sleeps in the Queen size bed with her mom. We all laughed a lot at my stories from the weekend so I think it will be ok having her there, but we will see how it goes. - Random thing: this morning for breakfast we had instant hot chocolate and Mami Susy put her mozzarella cheese in it!!! She laughed and said Paula, the previous exchange student wouldnt do it and said it was gross- But I tried it and really it wasnt that bad!!!! Then I had a cheeseburger and fries for lunch and it was just like being in America!! I loved every bite!!


God totally blessed this weekend. I was able to dive into a lot of relationships and see God not only use me in the lives and hearts of others but I saw him set my heart on fire in the process. I love being a Young Life leader. I love living life in a way that always seeks to know others, to love them and to share with them the love and joy of Christ! I´ve been so blessed to see my prayers be answered and know that it´s because God is faithful and He is listening. I am more excited than ever to get home and move forward with life. God is putting visions of marriage and ministry and work and a future in my heart and in my mind. My passions are becoming real to me and they move me and they push me, and as I respond God continues to teach and guide. He conntinues day in and day out to remind me He is there and He is the reason I am here. He continues to blow my mind and move me forward. It´s incredible.


That´s me trying to pick a coconut! lol. It was like being on Survivor!! I seriously think they should have a season there. If I was on it- I would not win due to being vertically challenged and unable to eat coconuts! lol.
The other weird thing I found out this weekend, which apparently I was supposed to know but nobody told me, you can´t throw your TP in the toilet. You have to throw it all in the trash!!! sick!!
I´m not sure I can do that. AND awkward turtle! I don´t know if I amsupposed to do that at my house cause I havent been...and It´s a really weird thing to have to ask. Well, I donno, we will see...I haven´t clogged anything yet! lol

1 comment:

Meredith said...

shan...i seriously love this post. i would write more, but just want to say that if you see a trash can by the toilet, then yes, you should throw your toilet paper away. it's really better for the plumbing if you don't flush the tp...you'll get used to it, i promise. ;)