Wednesday, June 11, 2008

la economia


Hey there everybody!

This week has been so hard. Many of you know from my countless emails about how much I do not want to be in classes here. I'm extremely overwhelmed and giving my all just to pass, which usually is not the case for me. I'm fighting to find joy in all of these hard parts and to cling to the moments of peace that usually come and go quite quickly. I'm looking forward to the trip to the coast tomorrow, but I first have to get excused from an exam my teacher scheduled for a day we don't have classes!! ughhh. aye aye aye ( they say here).

Yesterday we saw the President's motorcade heading to the airport as we were on our way to school. Definitely different than if that were to happen in the U.S. The President is kinda more of a common man over here I think. A lot less security.

Today Poonkie the dog ( in the pic) ran away and we had to chase him down and bring him home before we left. He had puppies last semester and they all died but one little brown and white one that kinda looks like annie. But, last week the perrito got out and hasn't been back since :( I think the " All dogs go to heaven" truck got him. There are stray dogs EVERYWHERE....
Poonkie got a hair cut and a new sweater this weekend!

Here are some pics of my room- it's just little. But I am here a lot watching my english movies with spanish subtitles and doing hwk. It's been a hard week with school. I really just want to complain all the time because I really wasnt expecting so much of this trip to revolve around school. I thought I'd go to class and then explore the country. But It's not really like that. The exploring part has to be fought for and earned.
In my book on the 23rd Psalm it says: " there are men and women who, because they may have done well in business or in their careers or their homes, feel that they are flourished and have 'arrived'. They may have a sense of well-being and self-affluence, which in itself is dangerous. Often when we are the most sure of ourselves we are the most prone to fall flat.Material success is no measure of spiritual health...... God may well impose on us some 'discipline' which we may find a bit rough and unpalatable at first. But again, we need to reassure ourselves that it is for our own good, because He is fond of us, and for His own reputation as the Good Shepherd."

With that I have hope. I understand there is much to be learned and even though it may not all be sparkly and fun, it will be done.

Good Luck to the Williamston Soccer girls tonight! I wish more than anything that I could be there cheering you all on!!! I love you! GO GREEN!

3 comments:

Meredith said...

shan, your words are encouraging to me. it is so great to know that you have such a reliance on Jesus in the midst of unknown hardships. i continue to pray for you...you are amazing and i miss you. love and more love :)

Murphy Kenzio said...

Hey shannon,
what is a perrito?

"Auntie" Kim (Meekhof) said...

Love you & think of you LOTS!
Last week was nuts here at school as we wrapped those little students up and sent them home for the summer. How sad, but necessary! I love reading your reassurance in scripture and how it is leaving you at peace. Keep reading, and sharing. You are encouraging others (me) with your strength! Love you! ~AK