Saturday, May 24, 2008

estoy el gringita

HEY GUYS!!!
Im here in quito! It has been a long but wonderful trip so far. Us american girls are their gringitas! their gringo daughters.
Everything that I was nervous for ended up to have God´s fingerprints all over it! He provided for me in every moment that I was fearful, scared, unsure and maybe even regretful. From the second I left my loved ones in the airport and wanted to cry a river all over the waiting area- God gave me hispanic friends who eased some of my speaking worries. I laughed with all the way till boarding. Then, on the way to Chicago, someone had drawn a huge penis in one of the fields! like the entire size of the field- so only planes could see! hahah! I laughed. I think I had a sign on my head that said make friends with me because I met an american man working in quito who told me all the little details of the city- all the old ladies next to me loved me. AND I even saw Julia >Stiles in the airport! I attempted to balls up and tell her i loved all her movies. But, as i walked up to her she looked pissed so i sheepishly said hi and pretended to be looking for something i lost! haha.
The best part is I was the most worried about getting to the airport, finding me mama and not being able to understand a word! But again- thanks be to God- the previous exchange student , Paula- leaves today and was there to translate and comfort and ease all my worries and answer a lot of questions. What a blessing! I spoke spanish all day with mi mama and even thought it was hard and a lot was left in those blank expressions of what!! It worked. I realize my spanglish is a lot better than my spanish! haha- so, we laugh about that a lot.

ok, i have to go- paula is waiting on me. but thank you for all of your prayers- God is hearing them! looe you all!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I know that you are ok over there because you are laughing a lot!!! I love that you are finding God in the Hard times and God in the great times!!

Meredith said...

Shan, you have no idea how encouraging it is to hear that you're doing okay. I love that God provides for us so much in our daily fears. He will prove to be extremely faithful during your entire 2 months there. I am praying for you daily.
Work weekend was so fun. I think we all got a little too much sun on Saturday, but it was a good weekend of work. Al, Selma, Colleen and I drove back early on Sunday to drop Selma off at work and then go to church. James is speaking this week and next about Ephesians. He talked about remembering that everything we do is because we are in Christ. It was basically the same as when we went through Ephesians all together...the history of Ephesus and how we live in the same kind of culture and all that. it was good and I'm excited to hear what he says next Sunday.
Anyway, this is a long comment, basically to say that I miss you and I love you. You are so courageous. Hope to hear from you soon! Love you!!

"Auntie" Kim (Meekhof) said...

Hey Dearie! I hope you are still doing well! I loved reading the notes you posted. And LOVE knowing how God is taking care of every little detail & concern for you! Things are not terribly exciting here, but we miss you and look forward to more news from you!
Love you!!

"Auntie" Kim (Meekhof) said...

WHERE ARE SOME PICTURES?!?!

"Auntie" Kim (Meekhof) said...

Thinking about you TONS & talking about you to everyone! :)
Did you go on the tour? XOXO